Saturday, September 3, 2011

THE DUOMO IS THE NORTH STAR OF FLORENCE

Updates of first week occurrences:



Thursday I had my LDM (school I'm attending) orientation... in an opera house. yeahhh... step your game up Stonehill. It was long, it was boring, It made me feel like an awkward freshman again except I actually enjoyed even the boring long drawn out parts of Stonehill's orientation, but I guess that's cause I'm a freak of Stonehill nature peer mentor status.

Friday after sleeping in until almost 2, still fighting off jetlag, my program had a walking tour of Florence. It was nice to get some perspective on what I've just been randomly getting lost and stumbling into. Had gelato for the first time! Although unsure if it's a technicality seeing as it was lampone (raspberry) and limone (lemon) but regardless after working for almost 2 years at a Coldstone.... shit is is SO WEAK. This was even better than edy's thin mind girl scout cookie ice cream, and I'm obsessed with that.



Then we went to this LDM abroad student welcome dinner, that was in an Italian palace, nbd. Due to lack of funds and wanting to travel as much as possible I take whatever free food (or anything else) that comes my way. I am the most picky eater alive. I do not like trying new things, I find something I like, I don't question it, and I keep ordering it over and over again until I get sick of it. Italy is forcing me to try new things, I honestly do not even know 75% of the things that I have had to eat this week.

Then a bunch of us Stonehill Firenze people went to a free pub crawl around Florence. This is going to be one of the many I can't believe I did this, this is immensely fun, to the inevitable why the hell did I do this I'm lost and I just want to be home and I'm never going to do this again but then realize it was beyond worth the hassle at the end and it was a damn good night. The first bar was too crowded so we went to the second one called Red Garter. Definitely going back there when its less chaotic. Then went to a little classier place called Bacco that had a damn good Vodka Lemon.



Then with the Florence for Fun pub crawl that we were doing we took a free bus to Central Park, this outdoor club (featured on the Jersey Shore but I plan on referencing JShore as little as possible cause this is MY experience). This place was insane.

On a sidenote my official abroad club song for the time being is Mr. Saxobeat. So my jam.

THEN, the night took a turn for the worse. Spend 2 hours into the far night lost going back from Central Park. Walking. A lot. We managed to loop all the way back around when it definitely did not feel like we were going in a circle. We see the Duomo, we think we are heading in the direction... false. Meanwhile creepy sketchy drunk italian men are shouting at the 7 of us. This is a prime example of I'm glad to be helpful being a male. I'm not being sexist but legitimately with Italian culture it's not safe for girls to be walking around that late, even if there is 6 of them and 1 of me, it helps.

All in all, being the gay best friend to many is always a plus to my girl friends. Italian men are creepy, no other way of putting it. They are just aggressively creepy. So what's a GBF to do, I'm officially every girls non-official boyfriend. You need to get away, oh that's my boyfriend. You want to stop dancing with this sketch and a half? Oh dance with Dave until the creeper finds his next victim. Happens all the time with me.

Where the wind blows for....



No comments:

Post a Comment