So a lot has happened. After spending this first day moving into a really nice hotel my program went to this beyond fancy restaurant right on the side on the Arno River. Had the best pasta I have or possible ever eat in my entire life, not even 24 hours into Italy and American food is ruined forever, it will never compare.
Then yesterday we finally moved into our apartments! Below is a few photos of mine. Its not bad by any means for a three person apartment, not to mention is was just finished being redone the fay before we moved in. Apartment number 4 on Borgo Allegri is literally right in the middle of italian families. I'm on the first floor (technically second if I was in the US) and I am so close to all my neighbors. When they talk it feels as if they are in my kitchen, its strange. The lack of a view kind of sucks though. I have a balcony that sits right in the middle of a bunch of apartments. This will definitely be interesting considering most if not all of the other GSE abroad students and stonehill students aren't exactly close to me.
So the pale white American man gets lost..... a lot. I am horrible with directions. I need a GPS to get anywhere if I haven't already been there before. I don't even understand the highways in Massachusetts so how am I supposed to get around in a foreign city, oh I know a map... down side okay so I am at least trying to blend in not wearing flip flop/sandals, or shorts, and trying to have plain clothing and rocking my sambas daily, but its pointless as I'm going to need that map (which even with it I still manage to get semi lost) frequently.
Yesterday was Courtney's 20th birthday so we went to ZaZas for dinner. People I know that have studied abroad in Florence before tell me to go to ZaZas all the time, so we did. SO WORTH IT. cant wait to go back and try new things. Yet again more damn good food. Italian bread all day err day thank you very much.
Then we went to Finnigans, which is an Irish pub on Court/Alex/Lauren/other stonehillers street Via San Gallo. It felt like home a little and got me VERY excited to actually go to Ireland next month. It was a trivia night, some random fun. Met an Irish dude name Luke who was beyond friendly. Had a guiness in Europe, getting back to my Irish roots here.
But before I got to their apartment to head out to the pub, I got lost... by myself... at early night... and as I was walking trying to figure out where I was (because my go to the Duomo which I use to gauge where I am ALL THE TIME wasn't really visible at night) I was freaking out a tad bit and then this woman who was clearly lost too said something to me and all I could mutter was Sorry I dont speak Italian and she responded thank you... I HATE that I feel like the stupid american on a 24/7 basis here. How is it that I haven't been able to full get saying Im sorry I dont speak Italian, but a stranger can at least respond back to me. I need my Italian class immediately.
So during my battle with facebook to upload my first photos i see this on the side of my page, a status from exactly two years ago,
"Dave Girvan is surprisingly enjoying the sem life. damn."
Where has my college life gone? Not only does it seem like just yesterday i wrote that, it feels more like ages since I wrote that. Far longer than two years.
So the mission is to live in the moment and go with the flow (Two things I literally despise with every fiber of my being and have such a hard time actually doing.)
Alley Kay: "just have fun, take advantage of everything, and live (worry free), it's an amazing feeling, and you're gunna have the most incredible 4 months and then when you come back, bring that lifestyle with you...you won't regret it, I promise"
Current advice to live by, perfect pep talk from Alley.
Oh yeah and PS. RIP light blue old navy v neck that I bought before I left.. learned the hard way to never spill even a little red wine on you. THIS IS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM

No comments:
Post a Comment